Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Lincoln Memorial

The Lincoln Memorial is another impressive memorial in honor of one of our nation's leaders.

 

Part of the Gettysburg Address

Here are some quotes by him about the Civil War:
"My enemies pretend that I am now carrying on the war for the sole purpose of abolition. So long as I am president, it shall be carried on for the sole purpose of restoring the Union." Interview with Alexander Randall, Washington DC, August 19, 1864
"I would save the Union....My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without saving any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving other alone I would also do that." Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862

Interestingly, we are taught the Civil War was about freeing the slaves, not keeping states in the Union (even though they had the right to leave). I think he makes it pretty clear what his intention with the Civil War was.

The memorial is also lit up nicely at night.


A few quotes by Abraham Lincoln:
"Many folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves."

posted by Sarah