Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Library of Congress

Bookworm that I am, I really enjoyed the Library of Congress! The Library of Congress is divided into 3 buildings: Thomas Jefferson Building (completed in 1897), John Adams Building (completed in 1928), and James Madison Building (1960s). There is an unground tunnel that connects to all three buildings. Daddy and I took advantage of it! :) We only visited the Thomas Jefferson and John Adams buildings.

The Thomas Jefferson building is a beautiful building!













The Giant Bible of Mainz is composed of 459 vellum skins, two tons of black ink, secured by 9 cords, and took 15 months to complete (April 4, 1452 - July 9 1453).

The Gutenburg Bible is the first great book to be printed from movable metal type in Western Europe. The printing was probably completed in 1455 at Mainz, Germany by Johann Guternburg.

The reading room is simply gorgeous! I would've loved to be one of the students reading in there!


Daddy and me

The Madison Building is also beautiful!





Daddy and me

The main reason we went here was for lunch. :) The view of DC from the restaurant's large bay window was beautiful, but I didn't get any good pictures! A funny story from lunch....The waitress said she was going to ask Daddy and I if we were brother and sister until she saw his shirt! :) Daddy had her guess how old I was and she said, "I don't know...9 or 10?" Her eyes were as big as saucers and she nearly fell out of her chair when Daddy laughingly replied, "No, she'll be 21 next month." :) In my home state I get mistaken for 12 or 13 a lot! I've never gotten 9 before! :)

posted by Sarah