Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hospital Update

(picture from Thursday)

For the bloggers who didn't get my email, William was admitted to the hospital yesterday afternoon. They drew blood, took another x-ray, started an IV with fluids and 2 antibiotics, continued breathing treatments and intensive percussion treatments every 3 hours. His oxygen level was hanging out between 93-95 and they won't use an oxygen tent until it drops below 93. I think that's basically all the information from yesterday. Mike and Sarah were up at the hospital with him, as I stayed home with Calvin and the other children last night.
This morning Mike called to give me an update. William's blood work came back. He has metapneumovirus. I think it is possibly HPIV (Human Parainfluenza Virus) related, second to RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus). They changed one of the antibiotics from Rocephin to Cefepime, but kept everything else the same. Mike also said that his blood sugar was 220 and he's throwing keytones. What I don't know is if this is indicitive of Juvenile Diabetes coming on, or if it is a side effect of the virus. That was all the information I got and I wasn't able to ask questions because while we were on the phone, William's oxygen dropped to 81 and we got off quickly when a nurse came in.I am planning on taking Sarah back up to the hospital this morning and staying for a little while. I will be leaving Calvin here, so I will not be able to stay for long, but hopefully my questions will be answered.
Thank you all for the continued prayers, food, visits, and general assistance. Everyone has been so thoughtful and we are overwhelmed with love. I will post updates as I can.

"By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another." John 13:35

2 comments:

  1. Arizona ConnectionJanuary 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM

    William is always in my prayers and I know this hospital stay could be considered a set back but I will pray that this hospital stay is short and a step forward. That his lungs are cleared and William comes home as his usual loving and active self. Your concerns regarding Williams medications are very valid. But once again our trust in the Lord and his guiding hand will lead you and guide you. Perhaps when the cold weather, cold and flue season has past, things will "calm" down and everyone will be able to enjoy the forthcoming sunny days. My prayers and thoughts are with William.
    May the Lord give us the strength that we all need.
    God Bless,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying that this hospital stay will be brief, that the antibiotics and his own immune system work quickly, and that the high blood sugar level is just a fluke and not the beginning of diabetes. The winter is such a tough season, but there is always a spring. May William's spring come very soon!

    ReplyDelete

I don't publish comments. I'm not good at checking them. :) You may email me directly at Joshalyn@rightpathridingacademy.org.