Friday, May 29, 2009

Courage


I love the fact that my little boy can hear and play the piano and sing along with his older sister. Quite honestly, that is something I've always taken for granted, when my little ones began doing those things.

I haven't decided if I think the Internet is a blessing or a curse: the world at our fingertips. That should be a good thing, however, as I've been looking up these new diseases that we're going to be testing for, I am fighting a gamut of emotions. I wonder if it would be better if I was the type of person to just wait until I have a definite answer before I began researching anything. It is always easy to let fear overwhelm us. The hard part is to rest in the Lord, be strong, and take courage. I am truly trying.

"Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." Joshua 1:9

2 comments:

  1. I will pray for enduring courage and a definite answer soon. Sending out prayers and blessings from Western NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- This is Mary Beth, Emma and Harrison's mom. I read your comment with your questions on my blog, and I just read the posting I'm commenting on. First let me say, you will probably never be able to just let thing happen. You are a mom and I'm convinced we are programmed to worry constantly and the nurture as needed. You will also never be able to turn off your emotions. I just watched your son's activation video and I had to turn it off part way through because I started to cry! We are all blessed with the gifts our children bring us and we were all chosen as parents to these wonderful kids. You will find as your son gets older that you were given him to also learn something from him. My husband and I are learning everyday something that is for the most part character building from our daughter, with just her everyday abilities to cope with a "disability". Now for your question...Emma was implanted at 2 1/2 in one ear only. She was about three years old before she said mommy for the first time! She started building words but it took, and still does take, a lot of work on our part. We had to work with her everyday everywhere! People would look strangely at us because of the way we would have to to talk to her in public at 3 years old but you quickly get over it. We basically bombarded her with words! And there was a point when her speech was poor and we weren't sure if it would improve or if she would always sound deaf. And one day it just clicked! I attribute a lot of that to immersing her in groups of children her own age that were normal hearing and had great language, and it forced her to keep up. It was tiring for her but it helped. She made vast improvements this year in kindergarten and we're hopeful for her future. And one last thing, trust your instincts because they are very strong! Emma's speech would get "lazy", word endings would drop off and we were picking up on this sooner than others and we knew she needed to be remapped and boom, speech improved. So trust your instincts and don't worry about bothering audiologists or doctors.

    Ask as many questions you want! I have volumes to say!

    ReplyDelete

I don't publish comments. I'm not good at checking them. :) You may email me directly at Joshalyn@rightpathridingacademy.org.