Monday, December 11, 2017

Joel

We were recently invited to celebrate the birthday of one of my WISH kids, Joel.  He had a superhero dance party that was a lot of fun!  I don't know how I came away with only cake pictures...ugh!  I went in a HULK shirt, which of course was William's favorite.  Michael somehow left his Captain America shirt behind, so we said he was Clark Kent.  πŸ˜œ

I also learned some party dance that I don't remember the name of, but it was a lot of fun.  Michael and I BOTH learned the Macarena!  Glad there's no video on THAT! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It was so much fun to watch Joel celebrate with his friends and we were so thankful to be included!  He's such a super fun kid!  I can't wait to make his wish come true!




Even MORE exciting...later in the week Joel got to RING THE BELL!  This is a fun tradition when a patient finishes their cancer treatment, which signifies the beating of cancer!  This is the first bell ringing ceremony I've been to and it was merry and joyous occasion.  I was so glad to be part of it!

Joel was so excited to ring that bell!  He got after it two or three times, but I only got this one video. 😊

Some of Joel's friends and family...

Joel and his wish granters...

I had never heard of the BEADS OF COURAGE (the necklace that Joel is wearing), but it's a wonderful way to help children record, tell, and own their story through cancer treatment.  They get a bead for each "item" they face...doctor visits, lab work, chemo, surgery, finger sticks, etc.  At the end, they can tell their story with each little memory reminder of how they faced scary things with courage.  Such a great idea!

I absolutely love things like this.  It makes my heart glad when I can watch a family say, "Today we won."