Tuesday, November 17, 2015

But joyful, too...

I realized that I hadn't posted about Abby's birthday.  I can't believe she's 19!  Such a wonderful young lady!  And one of my best friends!  I remember my teen years and I was nothing like the young women in my house.  Praise the Lord, they are different!  They are fun and intelligent, a joy to be with, thoughtful and kind.  I only have ONE check and that is...they are getting older and will one day want to get married.  They will leave the home and I will have to learn to create a new normal again.  Ugh.  I dread the thought.  But, for now, I'll just enjoy them.  All of them.

Abby is a lot like me when I was her age...headstrong and confident, ready to take on the world.  But she has a softer side than I did.  She's also fiercely loyal and dedicated and I am fortunate that she counts me as one of her best friends.  She had a hard time with her birthday this year and didn't want to celebrate.  I admit, I wasn't really in a festive mood, either.  But we changed some things up and enjoyed the day.  We did gifts in a different way...the old, normal way was too painful.





Then, instead of celebrating at home, we headed out with some friends to play laser tag and ride go-karts.  It was a much needed break from reality.  The competitiveness abounded, which made for a lot of fun!

The fun turned into a pretty late night, but we'd do it all over again.  Thanks to all our dear friends who came out to help us celebrate!