Thursday, July 12, 2018

Let Freedom Ring

Lots of company lately!  Whew!  It's been busy.  Good busy.  It helps keep my mind busy.  I haven't been good at taking pictures...can you believe it?  But here are a few from Independence Day...






We are putting in a patio under the swing at William's grave.  I got an idea and Michael made it happen.  He's so good to me.  😍  It is nearly complete.  We just need to pour the concrete.  Then it has to cure for 30 days before I can dye it.  This waiting thing is for the birds.  Everyone knows I am not a patient person.  But I CAN wait...if I know there's something happening and something worth waiting for.  Hmmm...that makes me think of a story I'll have to tell next week. 😂

I am kind of a sarcastic person. 😳  I love a good joke.  I love to tease.  Sometimes I can take it too far, but the truth is, if I'm messing with a person it's only because I like them.  So if I give you a hard time about something, be honored.  It's when I'm quiet that you have to worry....😏  I also joke about my boys a bit.  About them being wild and untamed, energetic and causing grey hairs.  And they are definitely different than the girls, but the truth is, I love it.  I love how adventurous and busy they are and it really doesn't bother me that things get broken sometimes.  Well, maybe a little...😂

I feel like I used to be good at parenting.  Decent, at least.  Now I'm kind of lost.  I don't really know what the right thing to do is.  I just do the best I can and pray that God will fill in the holes.

I found this list and I think it's excellent.  I see so many young men who don't understand these "old-timey" basics.  It's time to relearn them.  I know just a couple of young men who have most of this list down pat.  I hope my own sons get it.

RULES FOR SONS:

1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs. (*this one is strange and I'm not quite sure about it)
3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king. (*a little goofy, but okay)
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
5. Request the late check-out.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
9. Play with passion or not at all…
10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
12. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her. (*Yes! Always take care of your girl!)
14. You marry the girl, you marry her family. (Absolutely!  So, so true!)
15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
16. Never be afraid to ask out the girl who is way out of your league. (*Absolutely! Confidence makes a man attractive - but not arrogance.)
17. Never turn down a breath mint.
18. A sport coat is worth 1000 words. (*Yep!!!!!)
19. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
20. Thank a veteran. Then make it up to him.
21. Eat lunch with the new kid.
22. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
23. Ask your mother to play. She won’t let you win. (😂Nope!)
24. Manners maketh the man. (😍)
25. Give credit. Take the blame. (*Yep!)
26. Stand up to bullies. Protect those bullied.
27. Write down your dreams.
28. Always protect your siblings.
29. Be confident and humble at the same time.
30. The healthiest relationships are those where you’re a team; where you respect, protect, and stand up for each other.  Choose people who you can have this type of relationship with.