Thursday, November 9, 2017

All About Abby...

It's hard for me to believe she is 21!  Although, in many ways she's been less of a child and more of a friend for many years.

One of the many things I love about Abby is that she is fiercely loyal.  Not stupidly loyal, but mightily so.  She does not give her good opinion easily, but once it is earned it is not easily lost, either.  She would hate this comparison, but it reminds me somewhat of Mr. Darcy telling Miss Bennett, "But your good opinion is rarely bestowed and therefore, more worth the earning." 😜

Thinking back on her growing years of course got me to looking through pictures and bringing up memories.  I love this picture which so perfectly illustrates the early years of her relationship with Sarah: she was so completely ornery and got them into so much trouble, while Sarah was extremely reserved, timid, and afraid to try anything without Abby's prompting.  I love how Abby has a band-aid on her chin and is covered in stamps and is so obviously proud of herself!

She has always loved animals...I remember when she was around 7, Sarah's cat had kittens and one was not breathing when it was born.  I really thought it was dead and would have buried the poor thing, but Abby got the idea to swing it back and forth, pat it vigorously, and pump on it until it started breathing.  It survived!  Then there was the time she brought baby goats into the house at night so they wouldn't freeze...

Abby has always been so good with the little children...teaching them, playing with them, including them in everything.  For her 14th birthday she asked for an infant seat for her bicycle so she could take them on rides!

Of course she has always loved horses...I think my favorite "horsey" picture is still the one of her competing on Prancer at liberty, or bridleless (bottom right).

And we have enjoyed her immensely!




As I was looking over pictures, I thought about all the ways she's changed over the years.  From the little girl who didn't meet a stranger and chatted away private details to every person she saw to the young woman who is largely guarded and private, she has experienced much in her young life.  From the outside, looking in, it might appear that the successes come easy, but she is an industrious and earnest worker who sets goals and pursues them diligently.

And I'm proud of her for her work ethic.  But I think I'm more impressed with how she has handled the disappointments in her life.  Especially as an adult.

We had fun celebrating her birthday.  Of course, being Abby, she did things differently... We typically go out to dinner to celebrate 21, but she opted to stay home!

Hanging out with siblings...

The "adult" girls...we are so blessed to have these 4 wonderful women setting the example for children in our home.  We could not possibly ask for better role models.

Just the girls...

The clan...

I have no idea what crazy antics Papa was in the midst of, but he scooted himself right out of the picture! (Like father, like son?)

Absolutely!


Goofing around...there's almost always someone rolling eyes or shaking their head in our house!  Usually me! 😜


We had a wonderful time celebrating Abby.  We are blessed to have her.  Happy 21st birthday, my love!