Friday, March 25, 2016

Old Things

Isn't it funny how some things stick in your mind and pop up at the strangest moments?  Some things you wish you could remember and never do...other things just randomly present themselves and you didn't know you remembered them, but now suddenly they won't go away?

When I was much younger this movie came out that I watched.  It's probably been 20+ years since I watched it, but there is a scene that has been playing in my head over these last 5 months.  It's a movie about a man and his child who are grieving the loss of their wife/mother.  The scene that replays in my mind constantly is a sweet scene where the father is remembering his wife:


"What are you going to do?"
"Well, I'm going to get out of bed every morning, breathe in and out all day long.  Then after awhile, I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out.  And then after awhile, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for awhile."

Life is full of some of the most trivial things.  The things that upset us, the riffs that separate us, the love that escapes us, often because our pride refuses to let us see what is really important. I miss him. Every moment of every day, I miss him. Even when there are glimpses of light and joy, my heart still aches with missing him. And I know that no matter how good things get this side of heaven, my life here will never be perfect again.