Thursday, May 3, 2018

Does It Ever End?

Newly bereaved parents all seem to ask the same question...some version of, "Will this pain ever go away."  The short answer is no.  And yes.

This video has a decent explanation...

https://twitter.com/BBCiPlayer/status/987990393437540352

So for the short answer, no, I don't believe the pain ever entirely goes away.  But the "yes" side of that is that it does change over time.

There are things that bring it right back up to the forefront, like it happened yesterday.  Like driving past the Creek Co ambulance on the highway.  That ambulance is always at the edge of my memory and it doesn’t take much to bring it to the forefront.

Nor does the news.

I have really struggled throughout the whole issue with the British hospital denying Alfie Evans medical care. I can only imagine the fear, anger, frustration, and extreme emotions his parents faced. I cannot even fathom not being able to give my child every possible opportunity to live. Every time I saw a photo, all I could see was the blue tint in his face, the tell-tale sign of needing oxygen. I have to really fight those feelings of anger at the injustice of it all.
I am definitely weak. But it is also heavy.