Thursday, May 24, 2018

Definitions

I have learned that, although it is easy to use certain terms to quickly sum up a line of thought or way of life, in the climate of our current society it is always best to define those terms before jumping to the conclusions that inevitably come with them.  There are many terms that have been used to describe our family:

Patriarchal

Courtship (not really, but I see where it comes from)

Christian

Calvinist

Reformed

Homeschooler

Quiver Full

Conservative

Anti-Vaxxer (I would argue that this one is wholly inaccurate, but that's another story...)

Indeed, these are terms that I might use, myself, provided the definition is right.  I'm sure there are probably others...I just can't think of any right now.

We use these terms to determine like thinking.  That's a nice thing.  But it is also deceptive.  For example, while our family certainly adheres to the Biblical practice of patriarchy, there is much happening in the name of "patriarchy" that we certainly don't agree with or practice.

And if you talk to 10 families about their definition of "courtship," I can almost guarantee that you will get 10 different ideas about what it is and how it proceeds.  (Side note: we actually don't really adhere to courtship ideals, as "courtship" is defined as the intentional wooing of the heart, which really should never happen in the beginning of a relationship, but only after certain important items are established.)

Anyway, there are common threads that bind us together, but a term doesn't accurately define a set of beliefs.  To do that, we actually have to have enough interest to sit down and listen to one another.

On another note, entirely...whew!  It's been a rough week.  I'm grateful for the gift of dear friends.  And I'm grateful for small reminders that God's grace is always sufficient...