Thursday, January 4, 2018

Bringing in Another Year

Well, it's been a fun, chaotic, crazy week!  We brought in the new year with games, fun food, and presents!
 We do a silly gift exchange, Ornery Ockers Odditorium (Triple O), where you open or steal a gift.  It's a lot of fun...and a bit strange!

 We started a new game this year with Saran Wrap.  I wrapped a bunch of small gifts in Saran Wrap and someone got to try to unwrap it while the next person rolled dice.  When the person rolled doubles, the turn was over.  This is a great game that we laughed a lot at!
 And our dear young friend, Roelf Kars, from Canada, came to visit.  He fit right in with all the chaos, as he is also from a large family.  Although they might be a bit more reserved than we are...😜 Anyway, I don't think we scared him completely away!
 I just had to get a picture of him with Michael!  He is super good-natured and has a great sense of humor.  When I was concerned if he would fit in a twin bed and I asked him how tall he is, he said he is 5'19"! 😂😂😂
We immensely enjoyed his conversation and hearing his thoughts on so many things. I appreciated his insight, openness, and candor. One thing I realized while he was here is that we only really learn and grow and have anything of value through openness. I commented on how proud I was of him, to be able to open up and be vulnerable and really put himself out there. His reply was something to the effect of...To have a true and real relationship, you must be vulnerable and open. You have to expose yourself to the possibility of hurt.  Anything else is mearly acquaintance.  And it's the "real" relationships that are fulfilling, rewarding, and God-honoring.  Although we didn't actually discuss the blog directly, his thoughts actually helped me decide what I'm going to do with it.  I'll post about that later, when I have more time.  We are still hosting little visitors and while it is a lot of fun, we also have 9 children under 9 so it's super busy as well!

I know I've said it before but I am often so, so encouraged by young adults. I wonder what my life would look like if I had been so mature and God-honoring at a young age.  It wasn't too very long ago that my standard response over relationship issues was to simply walk away... 😓