Friday, April 30, 2010


Monday was a crazy, all-day-long, kind of day that started off frenzied. I forgot William's glasses and because we were scheduled to leave one appointment and head directly to the next all day I knew I wouldn't have any time later on to go get them. I left him at therapy with Sarah and Abby and took all the other children back home with me. While I was gone he initiated a stand on his own. They all thought he was going to take off walking, but he didn't. It got me to thinking how precious and how valuable time is. It's so deceptive, though. It lures us into complacency with its promises that it will always exist, that another day will always follow like the previous one. Then one day we awake to find our babies grown...the diapers are gone, pacifiers have vanished, and the sweet baby voice has disappeared. When did it happen? In all of the business of life, what are the "lasts" that I am missing? I look at my "older" children and they are so mature and nearly grown. When did that happen? Can I remember the last time Sarah pulled on my shirt to ask me to carry her, or Abby crawled up into my lap for me to rock her, or Sydnee saying, "Me wuv oooo," or Sherrod snuggling up next to me with her blanket tucked under her arm and sucking on her thumb. All of these things are gone and have been for some time. So what things are my youngest 5 doing that will be their lasts? Will I mark or remember them? It makes me a little sad to think of...

This week has been crazier than usual, maybe because we're trying to get back in the swing of things following William's illness. He is still rattly, but able to work on all the therapies again. Here's a little of what we've been doing:

After PT, then AVT, we headed out to William's mapping session. He did a great job with conditioned response! Very exciting! He also got his very own, brand new, Nucleus 5 processors! Yea!
Then we headed to see Dr. Domek for Sherrod's HA1C testing. All of the children over 2 got their blood drawn for yearly family antibody testing. This was William's first time and he did great! Didn't cry a bit!
The next day at PT we did EMPI placing for the scoliosis. William wasn't super excited to have to hold still, but he did alright.

Calvin, my little 4-and-1/2-month-old baby, is already sitting alone. Unbelievable!

The little girls working on school

A little relaxation

On Wednesday we had a follow up appointment at the orthotist's for William's HKAFO fitting. This is the Hip-Knee-Ankle-Foot-Orthosis that I am referring to as the long leg braces.

During another spell of waiting, Selah came to me and said, "Mommy, can we go to the P-R-A-K?" This is a 4-year-old's spelling of "park." Not bad.

PT and OMST as usual.

Sarah is still working hard on her movie. Script is coming along, but there is no way she will make it before the early bird deadline of May 1. She is still hoping to make it by the actual deadline of June 1. Next week we close on our house and William's long leg braces should be in!

On a different note, I received this very sweet gift this week from my sister-in-law, Lisa.
The face of the watch is a family, with the parents and children all holding hands in the shape of a heart. The back is engraved with, "The love of a family is life's greatest blessing."
As Mother's Day fast approaches, I'm reminded that children are our proof of a fruitful life, the reward of an effective life, the evidence of effective service. My children are my "stephanosa," my crown and reward. My heart yearns for them and desires not to miss a single moment of their growth and successes.
"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't publish comments. I'm not good at checking them. :) You may email me directly at