Sunday, December 20, 2009

Nebulizing the Dog


Today is Selah's 4th birthday. We had a good time opening presents and playing together this afternoon. When I was giving William his breathing treatment he was holding a stuffed dog that Sydnee bought for Selah and he said, "Dog turn." Abby snapped the picture as he was giving the dog a breathing treatment. So cute!
His vocabulary is really coming along. Today Michael ran to the store for me and called home while he was gone. William climbed up next to me as I was talking on the phone and said, "My turn," and of course I handed him the phone. Then Elly came over to us and William handed the phone to her and said, "Your turn." He gave her about 5 seconds before he said, "My turn."
Most toddlers go through the stage where they point at something and grunt, "Uh-uh-uh." We have found that baby sign language greatly reduces this, as it gives them an outlet for expressing their needs. However, since we are trying to only use spoken language with William we have been hearing the "Uh-uh-uh" often. I started off telling him, "Say _____." After he repeated what I wanted him to say, I would follow it with, "Good job, use your words." In the last few days I've dropped telling him what I want him to say and I just tell him to use his words. He doesn't always remember what he wants to say, but he is starting to more and more. If he doesn't remember, I'll just remind him, "Say 'help me,'" or whatever else he needs to say, then follow it with, "Good job, use your words." It's really exciting to see how it doesn't take a whole lot of repitition before he gets it!
"Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say." Exodus 4:12