Monday, June 8, 2009

Ups and Downs


Even though the first day of the walker went very well, it seems to be a kind of roller coaster, with good days and bad days. The second day of using the walker did not go very well. He wanted in it, but didn't seem to have the strength to walk for long. Unfortunately, I ended up without a stroller, carrying William, and pushing the walker. Needless to say, I don't think I'll leave home again without at least ONE helper! I am glad it was a quick, unnecessary trip to Wal-Mart.
Saturday William had a great time in the walker, especially playing outside! He didn't really use it much yesterday. He really liked being able to get wherever he wanted outside, getting on and off of his self-push 4-wheeler by himself and going to see the dogs and cat whenever he wanted. It's nice for him to have some independence.
We are expecting to hear back from Mayo by tomorrow. I will be glad to know our schedule. We have been preparing dry foods (muffins, breads, cookies, etc.) to take with us - I hope the children won't eat it all before we leave! Our pediatrician is looking into another avenue of testing for us. Right now we have about 3 things to test for. I am unsure if we will test for these things before we leave for Mayo, or if we will be doing the testing there.
A little bad news: the Ronald McDonald House only allows one room per family, so even if they have room availability when we get there, we will have to get at least one hotel room someplace else. Also, we are entering peak season for summer camps and special events that are put on at Mayo, so the possibility of them even having one room looks doubtful. It looks like we'll be needing two hotel rooms after all.
Thank you all for the prayers and words of encouragement. Although I really want to find a diagnosis, I am also hoping it's not any of the current things they are wanting to test for. I am trying not to let my mind go into the future until we have an actual diagnosis.
"As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all." Ecclesiastes 11:5