Monday, April 20, 2009

Water, Water, Everywhere!


William had a great time today, playing in his new sand and water table. He especially liked splashing the water everywhere (and on everyone else)! He loves water! This can cause some problems, since he can't get his processors wet. Today, in the middle of his play, I looked at him and all of a sudden his magnet fell off of his head and straight into the water! Thankfully, his processor just missed the water.
I am apprehensive about this summer. As much as William (and the girls) love water, how am I going to keep his processors dry and let him have fun and be a child at the same time? I can't send them out to play in the water and keep him inside, watching. That's just cruel - and it would drive him crazy. I know I can leave his processors off some, but I hate to do it for a couple of hours everyday (he already naps for a couple of hours everyday). He's doing so well with developing speech and recognizing sounds and I know it's because he keeps those processors on so much. The physical therapist has already mentioned that she's excited about a wading pool for his therapy, but I'm skeptical. Also, the girls have this neat blow up water slide that they love to jump and slide on - I know William will love it, if he gets to play on it.
Anybody been there, done that? Have any ideas?
"I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye." Psalm 32:8

3 comments:

  1. William looks so handsome with his new haircut. But in his picture you can see that he does LOVE to splash. I wonder if you could do something like -- take William's processors off two times a week for an hour or maybe an hour and a half to do water activities and then try an spend an extra 30 minutes those days working strictly on hearing and speech therapy? I know you are trying to encourage William to hear (and not to rely on sign) but maybe you could use specific toys during water games to help him form certain sounds with his mouth while playing in the water. The girls could do it to, so he could watch their mouths and maybe also use sign??? Maybe have him play with a toy snake with his processors on, and then during water games have all the kids making ssssss sounds with their mouth. William will get the muscle practice, although he will not be hearing.

    Whew- I used all my brain power on that one, I better go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same situation, albeit with hearing aids instead of a CI. The only thing I can think to do is to limit the water play to an hour or so per day for both boys. I really wish they'd make some waterproof hearing equipment soon!

    ReplyDelete

I don't publish comments. I'm not good at checking them. :) You may email me directly at Joshalyn@rightpathridingacademy.org.