Thursday, July 22, 2021

Exciting News!

 Sherrod is getting married!


Alex is wonderful and we are so pleased.  They complement each other very well.



He proposed on our anniversary, which was so very special!  I love how thoughtful he is, of her and of our family.  I never realized how difficult it would be to have adult children and young children at the same time, in that, it's harder for the little children to understand what's going on.  They all love Alex, but Titus cried at bedtime the first 3 nights after they got engaged.  Andrew was also sad.  They don't want her to get married.  They like having her around.  ๐Ÿ’œ I understand their feelings.  I am going to miss her incredibly.  I have been so oddly emotional since the proposal on Friday.  I've been reflecting on the weirdness of my behavior and I know there are several aspects of it, none of which I like.  I'm always talking to my children about taking our thoughts captive and controlling our emotions.  I'm not normally a super emotional person but I have to admit, it's become difficult this year.  Maybe because I have no outlet for them...long story that I won't get into.

Anyway, they've handled my emotional outbursts well.  I wish they didn't have to.  I have to get that under control.  

When our girls were younger, we would talk about "one day" when they married and what that would be like and dream together.  Maybe it was more "my" dream, but it definitely hasn't gone like I planned. I think losing Sarah earlier this year has made me very skittish with Sherrod.  I know she's a different person and Alex is different, but it's hard not to project sometimes, you know?  It doesn't help that she's leaving for Zambia very soon and I find myself in tears A LOT.  I'm not a tearful person.  I don't even know what's up with me.  And I don't like it.

So, if you think about it, pray for me.  Pray that I won't drive my daughter crazy.  Pray that she can enjoy this sweet and special time without worrying about her mother losing it.  Pray that those sweet relationships (mother/daughter, mother/son-in-love) will remain close and joyful and precious.  Pray that I will just trust the Lord and relax at HIS control, not mine.

They are so good together.  They both love the Lord wholeheartedly and continually point each other to Christ.  They both care more about pleasing the Lord than about "getting married." They are both super laid back but maybe about different things sometimes.  It's funny, Sherrod can be very opinionated at times.  (I have no idea where she gets THAT!๐Ÿ˜œ) And Alex seems very chill most of the time.  But then there are times when the roles completely reverse and SHE'S super laid back and HE'S the opinionated, take charge one.  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Not in a bad way, at all.  More in a learning-each-other's-strengths-and-weaknesses kind of way and becoming one.  It is a good blend.

They are getting married in September.  And she will be home VERY little of the time between now and then.  Zambia, Alaska, wedding planning, wedding.  THAT is what's on tap for the next 2 months.

Some have already asked how he proposed.  It was so sweet.  You know what I think is really neat?  He included our family in the planning so that he could.  That was so special to all of us.  He put together a video and we had a "family movie night" to play it.  She thought it was just another movie and here's what she got:



Isn't that just the sweetest?!?!?! They are precious and adorable!  We are thrilled for them to start their life together.  Now I'm off for wedding planning...