Thursday, March 25, 2021

Captive

2 Corinthians 10:5 tells us that we are to “demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” So many sins in life could be more easily overcome if we practiced this command well. 


So many circumstances are beyond my control and I can let fear overwhelm me if I am not careful. Admittedly my mind runs away with me sometimes. The enemy whispers in my ear, “What if...?” At those times, I have to preach to my heart and remind myself of what I know to be true and not let fear take hold in my heart and mind. I have to remember that God doesn’t just allow events...He orchestrates them.  For His glory and my good.

So how do we reconcile that when something so unbelievably awful happens, like the death of a child? Trust Him. Believe His Word. And when we find ourselves untrusting and unbelieving, we pray, “Lord, help my unbelief.” And then we DO. Make the choice to trust and believe. Put action to faith. 

It’s important to remember that we are responsible for our thoughts. God has given us the ability to exercise control over our thoughts. He warned Cain to focus his mind on the right things, but Cain chose to dwell on the wrong things, which led to jealousy and murder. God calls us to change sinful behavior that does not honor Him. So often we try to change our behavior without renewing our mind. We have to be moldable, allowing the Spirit to change us (Romans 12:2). God tells us what things we are to think on in Philippians 4:8...those things which are good and true and noble. 

All of us are captives. Who will we be held captive to? Our wise and loving Creator or our own self will? Christ came to set us free from the power of sin and death. Through Him, I have the power to take control over thoughts that threaten to destroy.

Taking our thoughts captive is not always easy but it is always necessary.