Thursday, May 14, 2020

Wheelchair Memories

I began cleaning out my closet recently...packing away some of William's things.  I finally threw away the old medicine that expired over 4 years ago and will never be used.  I packed up all of his hospital bracelets, gowns, and miscellaneous and put them in the attic.  I left a lot of his things out but there were certain things I just decided need to be used by someone.  I think he would want it that way.  His TheraTogs got donated.  His white cane.  We donated his processors, Roger, and KidWalk long ago.  This week I gave his wheelchair to my nephew.

Pushing it out of the corner in my room to the front door was such a mix of emotions.  Those handles felt so natural in my hands again.  Oh, how I long for that sweet little boy again.

My nephew will get good use from that chair.  He was so thankful for it and proud of it!  It was precious to see him take to it so quickly and just get himself around wherever he wanted.  What a level of independence it brings!!!  I know it did for William.